13

The art of fly hunting

A while back I shared a short video of my first attempts at catching flying insects. Thanks to all your helpful tips and a lot of practice, I think I now perfected my own technique of catching little flying prey. Here are my 3 basic steps:
  • Step 1: Acquire target: You always have to be ready to spot your prey. Don't really on humans for that, their eyesight is quite poor.
  • Step 2: Warming up: I like to warm up before getting to serious business with some vocal exercises. While warming up, keep your eyes locked on the target, plan ahead.
  • Step 3: The hunt: When you've studied your target and are all warmed up, it's time to jump into action! And I mean that literally. Don't be afraid to use your claws, and don't forget to use your tail for balance.
And as usually, here's a short clip of me demonstrating this technique:

I hope you find my tips useful - and if you've got any advice on how I could improve my technique, be sure to let me know in the comments!

13 comments:

Amy and The House of Cats said...

Thanks for the tips Epic! These will be very helpful in teaching the little guys how to catch a fly - they haven't gotten to that point yet (we haven't had a fly in the house for one thing) but once they do we know where to go!

Harry Spotter said...

Great technique and instructions. Thanks for the video! We love flies too.

The Crew said...

No improvement needed, Epic. Your technique is flawless!

I enjoy a good fly now & then. They make a tasty snack.

Max S.

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

I dunno, Epic - your form looks good, but unless you actually caught the fly, I'd say you still need practice!

Jacqueline said...

Great tips and video; we love the way you chirp at the fly=Sukki chirps at the birds that way!...Have a fun day handsome Epic...xo...Calle, Halle, Sukki

Inigo Flufflebum and d'Artagnan Rumblepurr said...

You are a mighty fine hunter my friend!

Inigo Flufflebum and d'Artagnan Rumblepurr said...

You are a mighty fine hunter my friend!

Epic the Cat said...

@Amy: Best of luck to the little guys, I'm sure they'll do great!

@Max S. & Harry Spotter: Yes, flies are great entertainment and a nutritious snack all in one! What more could a cat ask for?

@Sparkle: I sometimes do catch them, although I must admit that just practicing is a lot of fun on its own. Looking forward to more flies this summer, so I can also improve my success rate *paws crossed*

@Jacqueline: Aye, I also use that special chirp for birds. But it's so much more fun when you actually have the chance of catching the prey - birds are usually too far away :(

@Indigo and d'Artagnan: *high paw*

The Island Cats said...

Wow! That was quite impressive, Epic!! Your technique is really good!! We hope you caught that pesky fly! When we finally catch flies, we eat them! Yum!

Cathy Keisha said...

Did you catch him, Epic?? the woman loves when I make those grunting sounds when I see a bird and bug. We have screens so I can only admire flies and birds out the window. Sigh!

Sónia Mendes said...

Hi Epic,

I have to try your technique, cause I try and try, but I never catch anything.

Purrs from Gotchi

Teri and the cats of Furrydance said...

You was licking your lips in anticipation! We tend to break things when flies get in the house...mewmie smacks em down first, if she can...hahameow!

Pumpkinpuddy said...

Love your video. I haven't hunted flies yet (I've never seen one), so it's good to have some instructions for when I finally see one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails